With summer approaching, Delmarva Power has been working to ready the local energy grid for severe weather and increased customer demand. Our crews continue to perform essential maintenance and upgrades that further enhance service reliability for our 541,000 electric customers in Delaware and Maryland and 138,000 natural gas customers in northern Delaware. Their hard works helps to harden our energy infrastructure against the growing impact of severe summer weather and hurricanes.
While we work to prepare the electric grid and minimize outages on the system, some outages can happen. We encourage our customers to be prepared by taking the following steps:
- Stay connected to us by downloading our free mobile app at com/MobileApp. You can use the mobile app to report outages, view estimated restoration times and more.
- Visit My Account to sign up for outage updates and severe weather alerts.
- Assemble an emergency storm kit. Include a battery-powered radio, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, medications, multi-purpose tool, and list of important/emergency phone numbers.
- Have a supply of bottled water and easy-to-prepare, non-perishable foods available to last at least 72 hours.
- Keep a flashlight with fresh batteries on each floor of your home.
- Identify an alternate location for you and/or your family in case of an extended outage.
- It’s extremely important to review the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operations of your generator. Do not connect a generator directly to your home’s wiring, and never use a generator indoors or any enclosed area.
Being prepared is a responsibility everyone should take seriously. If a severe storm hits, monitor local weather reports regularly and follow the advice of local emergency management officials. Please stay away from downed wires and immediately report a downed wire or service issue by calling 800-898-8042, visiting delmarva.com/Storm or through our mobile app. You can also report an outage by texting “OUT” to 67972. You must first text “ADD OUTAGE” to 67972 to sign up for this service.
For more tips on preparing for severe weather and emergency events, visit delmarva.com/StormPrep.