October is National Energy Awareness Month and the U.S. Department of Energy’s “Leading by Example” theme is the perfect reminder to take a closer look at your energy use. By taking just a few easy energy efficient steps, you can decrease your energy bill and energy use all year long and have a positive impact on the environment.
Start by understanding your energy use by signing up for My Account. This tool, gives you the ability to review usage, sign up for alerts, see how much energy you saved compared to others, and receive tips on how to use less.
- Customers can participate in Energy Wise Rewards®, which will automatically send a signal to a participant’s thermostat or outdoor switch to cycle air conditioners during a Peak Savings Day.
- Energize Delaware offers a one-stop resource to make your home or business more comfortable, energy efficient, and cost effective.
- The Quick Home Energy Check-Up (QHEC) offers customers the chance to have an energy analyst evaluate a home’s heating and cooling systems, windows, and doors and teach you how your home uses energy and ways to save at no cost.
- The EmPower Maryland program provides rebates to recycle an old appliance, discounts on energy efficiency products at our online Marketplace, and rebates on ENERGY STAR® certified appliances.
In addition to energy saving programs, here are a few additional ways you can save:
- Unplug unused electrical devices when you leave a room to prevent unnecessary energy use.
- Weatherize your home with weather stripping or caulking around doors and windows.
- Maintain home heating and cooling equipment with periodic professional tune ups.
- Check your thermostat, using lower temperatures in the winter, if health permits.
- Check for air leaks on forced-air heating system ductwork about once a year.
- Dust or vacuum radiators so the flow of heat is not impeded.
- Install storm windows and open them up when heating or cooling equipment use is unnecessary.
- Adjust your blinds by raising them in the winter to let warm sunlight.
To learn more about ways you can save energy and money, visit: delmarva.com/SaveEnergy.