Cold winter is on the way, and Atlantic City Electric wants to ensure customers are well-equipped to conserve energy when those temperatures drop and energy usage inevitably spikes.
Energy conservation is important not only for the environment, but also for your wallet, and we’ve got you covered with simple tips to help you stay warm and keep your energy bills as low as possible this winter season:
- Set your thermostat to 68°F during the day and 60°F at night and you can save 3 percent on your heating costs for every degree you reduce the temperature below 70°F
- Special Advice to Heat Pump Owners: Heat pumps need to stay at a constant setting, unless you have a programmable electronic heat pump thermostat with adaptive recovery. Check with your heating or air conditioning contractor to determine the type of thermostat you have
- Winterize windows with weather stripping (for all movable joints) and caulk (for non-moving parts). Also, install a window kit to the inside of your windows to help keep cold air out and warm air in
- Change filters once a month. A well-maintained heating system can save money and increase the comfort level in your home
- Make sure your fireplace is airtight because you may be losing more heat than you are generating
- Inspect all ductwork for any air leakage to save up to 10 percent on your heating costs. If there is air leaking at the joints, use silver metal duct tape to seal them
In the event of severe winter weather, we encourage our customers to be ready. Download our mobile app and visit our website for more tips on how to prepare. The app has many resources to keep you informed during a storm, including interactive outage maps and estimates to power restoration.